Monday, February 9, 2009

Music

I caught some of the Grammys last night with my wife. As I reflected on the nominees in each category, I was struck by the need to rename the Grammys. I think it should be called, "The Teen Choice Awards."

Oh - there's already a Teen Choice Awards? Well, then in this economy, why does anyone need to waste time and money on the Grammys? I mean, seriously, it seems a little superfluous to have multiple awards ceremonies to celebrate the music of Pink, Lil' Wayne, and T-Pain (or T-Bone or T-Slice or whatever). Most of the nominees in the "major" categories are simply teeny-bopper favorites. I use the word "major" with great sarcasm, as I'm wondering when Pop Music became the standard by which all other music is judged. ( I'm also wondering when Coldplay became a "Rock" band.)

Now don't label me as one of those people who simply detests an artist because they are popular. As the kids say, I'm not a "hater." I enjoy several of the musicians who presented, performed, or made appearances at the ceremony, such as the very talented Leona Lewis, the destined-for-legend-status Justin Timberlake, Jason Mraz, and even the occasional Kanye. But PINK for Best Female Vocal Performance?!?! Get outta here!

I think it's somewhat comical that the Grammys and the Oscars, both representing the pinnacle of achievement in their respective area of the arts, are complete opposites. The Oscars have a habit of rewarding great films that have a very limited appeal, often snubbing some actors or films just BECAUSE they enjoy modest popularity, whereas the Grammys reward whatever artists seem to have the most mass appeal at the time, whether they have any talent or not.

It breaks my heart to see the JONAS BROTHERS performing with Stevie Freakin' Wonder. And Miley Cyrus (bless her heart) stinking up the joint while so many legitimate musicians toil in obscurity. What's next, Zach Efron performing Sinatra at next year's show? Here's one guy who's hoping that someday the music world will recognize more deserving entertainers with its highest honor, and the flavors of the week will just have to make due somehow with all of their cash.

4 comments:

  1. Someone give this man an award. At least a trophy or lifetime achievement award or something....

    You nailed it right on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy has a blog. This could not be awesomer. Yeah, I'm so excited, I just said awesomer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, it seems we live in a world where who is featured on a music awards show is largely determined by recognizability and how much money they can generate rather than what would be a more objective (or perhaps authentic) rubric of talent and deservedness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can sing and perform way better than most people who graced that stage, but the 15-year-olds who drive music sales don't really seem to care about good, quality performances and people who actually have talent.

    ReplyDelete